21 August 2011

first class

Thursday night was the first class. It was mostly a review of the course guidelines and requirements, then a review of some material related to the course.

Most of the students are traditional students, recently out of high school. There was one guy who was about my age, but through a dialog with the teacher, he is not ready for the course. He pointed out that when he started programming classes, punch read machines were used. My first class must have been the year after him, because they were being removed that year.

Maybe half of them took the prerequisite class over the summer, so the material and the teacher are very familiar to them.

After this one class, it seems easy enough, but she assured us that the work will get more complicated and time consuming.

Before the class started two students were in the hall waiting for the door to be unlocked and talking about their history of programming classes. I thought they were annoying. Not sure why. Maybe they just reminded me of how out of touch I am with modern methods.

I hope work doesn't interfere with the class schedule. If any travel comes up, then I could potentially miss a class. They have an attendance policy that factors into the grade, so I don't want to miss a class due to a travel conflict.

Now that I know the schedule, I can let people at work know and hopefully the projects can fit in around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment