25 September 2010

weightlifting class

A week ago I went to a gym that does weight training for Olympic weightlifting (snatch, clean, jerk, etc.) for a session with a personal trainer. The web page said you needed to attend such session(s) before taking the weightlifting class, but it turns out that they different classes, so this morning I went to the beginner's class. It's a drop-in class and only meets twice a month and I was told on the phone that the attendees generally schedule a private in between the class meetings.

Both of these sessions were on the snatch. It is work on the shoulders and legs because it's a press and a squat. After the private lesson, I felt uncoordinated because it's a lift that takes skill and timing. After this morning's class, my lifts were doing better. I could do that again :-)

The week that has been was busy at work preparing for travel next week. The requirements for the project have been shifting for weeks, so the guy who was trying to do the planning was as unhappy as we were as we all adapted to the changes.

While on travel I probably won't be able to visit a gym there. I would like to get out of the long, group dinners watching them drink beer. I'd rather read or work on a crochet project in the hotel room: quiet time to unwind before the project starts up the next day.

1 comment: