23 October 2010

weightlifting class

This morning was another weightlifting class day. (It's only taught every other week or so.)

After the warm up, we practiced deadlifts in preparation for high pulls, then front squats. I had never done high pulls before, so that was new for me. The info on front-squat technique was useful too. Of course, the front squats were done in power-lifter style (hands in the receiving position), not bodybuilder style (arms crossed). I have only tried front squats a little, but have never used them in a program.

After class, the subject of power cleans came up, so I talked with the instructor about how I had read that some guys turn them into a partial clean then a reverse curl. She explained the problem: guys want the extra leverage instead of using momentum, so they move the bar away from their bodies and use a reverse curl instead of keeping it clean/close.

I don't move a lot of weight in these practice sessions, but was a good class :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment