23 November 2010

shawl

The shawl I'm crocheting for my wife's relative is a doily pattern with a pineapple motif intended for use with thread, dating from 1944. Recently (actually, years), people have been doing or modifying these with yarn to make shawls and this pattern is one of them.

Before I started I looked at what yarn people used and what size hook. I also looked at what hook people used with the yarn I bought for it and settled on the average. However, after I worked on it a while, I estimated that it was going to be shrug sized (cover shoulders) and not really shawl sized (cover back as well). I thought about how to extend the pattern and ripped out some rows to incorporate more pineapples and an additional rows of them. A woman who has made many of them suggested making this a practice one and to make another with the hook she uses. No time for that. Ugh. I think it will work out. Next time I'll try a bigger hook, but then, by the time I'm done with this, I'll have a modified pattern for a full shawl and could do it again, assuming it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment