18 January 2011

injuries

It's annoying that I have apparently "injured" myself using the FatGripz through tendon overuse. I had assumed that the tendons would adapt as I have read about, similar to muscular adaptation and growth. Impatience gets me nowhere, if there is a cycle of setbacks due to pushing too hard and then the need for rest to heal the overuse. Considering my slow strength gains, it should have no surprise that my tendons would respond slowly as well.

Rest due to muscular fatigue from workouts is a different story.

Even before I starting weight training "seriously" two years ago, I had a recurring pain in one shoulder, probably rotator cuff. I haven't mentioned that one, but it comes and goes too. It's been a problem in recent weeks too, since I tweaked something in that shoulder at weight lifting class. I haven't returned to that class since then due to that (though the holidays got in the way, so couldn't if I wanted to). It's a nagging pain, but not bad.

Back when I started, I was doing L-flys and Cuban raises with light weights because I had read that those are preventive exercises for rotator cuff problems. The jury is out whether those worked at the time, but I've started them again to what happens.

Due to forearm pain, I haven't been doing much crochet work and stopped practicing ocarina and tin whistle so the fingering work doesn't aggravate the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment