10 January 2011

internet capable

The cold that started last weekend continued through the week. While I thought I was over the fever and doing better on Mon, the fever came back and I stayed home on Fri and rested much of that day, aside from an unrelated doctor's appointment.

Previously, I had ordered an internet-capable receiver box for our TV, which also meant ordering or buying a long ethernet cable to install under the house, jacks to provide access to those ends, two short ethernet cables to attach to those jacks, and an HDMI cable to attach to box to the TV. Those parts

Because I was feeling better yesterday, my wife and I installed that stuff and had internet streaming enabled on the TV in the afternoon. All without drilling any new holes into the floor or walls... but only because I made use of the existing holes that I made when we moved in and doubled up the coaxial with a coaxial and ethernet jack. Cheating, yeah.

The box could have worked wirelessly, but I figured a wired connection would be more reliable and stable.

I tried some video and radio streamimg before moving on to others things, then we watched a "Wallace and Gromit" short ("Loaf and Death") in the evening. Before playing anything, the interface shows the content "retrieving" before play begins. I assume that's because they want the content cached on their server or locally before streaming the output to the TV. Sometimes the retrieve fails and the content fails to play. That happened a lot with the radio streaming. Annoying, but the system mostly works. Considering we are now 2-3 years behind, I would have expected better success.

No comments:

Post a Comment