02 January 2011

tide pools

Solstice week we were on vacation, visiting the inlaws/grandparents and other of my wife's relatives. That was a good week away. We had bad delays at the airports, but due to two-hour layovers between the two connecting flights, we didn't miss any of the flights and were only a little late arriving there in the end.

I've been sleeping in the last two weeks. That changes tomorrow, when I go back to work again. In that sense I've been lazy, but have continued to workout as usual during this time, including the vacation time away by visiting a gym there.

Since we have been back, our daughter and I went to the tide pools. It happened to be low tide when I checked, so we went. We didn't take the camera, so I used my phone to take a few pictures.


We saw a lot more sea stars than we usually do, including a few brown, like this one, orange, and pink.


Pink one with an anemone in a pool. In this pictures, there are also some snails and the different types of algae that grow there. There is also usually a small type of fish in the water too, but we didn't look for them.


After we walked around the pools, we spent a while watching a blue heron that was fishing in a large pool. We saw him catch, and miss, several fish. They were larger than the little pool fish I mentioned, but don't know what they were. The heron moved slowly and spent a lot of time standing still, stalking whatever he saw in the water. It was an overcast afternoon with some wind and drizzle. We also brought the binoculars and bird book that grandpa had given her.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Grey Heron, in Galway in an area called the Claddagh a grey heron visits a certain house at the same time every morning. The occupants open the door and he comes in has a sausage then leaves...I photographed that same heron last year waiting outside that house but at the time, hadn't heard the story http://morgtoday.blogspot.com/2010/03/heron-on-cladagh.html

    ReplyDelete