25 January 2011

weekend thumb jam

Over the weekend we went to the snow, which included cross-country skiing on Sat, which was the first time for me. We have gone on this annual trip a few times before, but have gone sledding. Our daughter is older now.

I fell a few times in the course of the afternoon, during and after the lesson. Late in the day, when the shadows were long and there were more shadowed areas and icy patches, we went down an "intermediate", downhill area. It was quite steep and fast and I spilled forward. My wife fell earlier on the hill than I did, so had less speed and she fell backward, which was the better thing to do. I was leaned too far forward to do that.

After that hill it was flat back to the beginning and a short walk to the rental shop, but it's not like I could stop and rest my thumb. There was a mile or so of flat to go. At the end of the day, I had a minor pull in my thigh, some kind of tear in my rotator cuff, and a painful and swollen thumb. Went to the doc yesterday and had it looked at and x-rayed. Conclusion was that it's probably just a strain and I should be careful with it, etc. Apparently I planted my thumb in the snow and jammed or bent it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment