02 January 2011

ocarina

About twenty years ago, I bought an ocarina somewhere. I have never bothered to play it, but recently rewatched a Star Trek TNG episode that reminded me of it, so dug it out and downloaded a fingering charts for a few songs and have been practicing those and some other songs. I don't much like the high notes because they either squeak if I'm not blowing hard enough or they are too loud (high notes seem to ... penetrate more).

Since starting with that ocarina, I bought another one. It sounds a little better, but it's similar. They are pendant, 6-hole (four on the top and two on the bottom) versions.

One site that I've downloaded songs from is for an iphone application where you blow across the microphone and the "holes" one "covers" to play the notes are circles on the touch panels. I thought that was an interesting application, but I'm not going to buy an iphone for it. I'd buy another clay or wood version first.

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of that instrument before, was the episode you watched called 'Inner Light'? If so it's one of my favs...

    ReplyDelete