09 August 2010

time

I had an email from my father over the weekend. He was letting us kids know that one of his brothers died over night. That was a surprise. One because he never sends email and two because that was very sudden. About two weeks ago I was talking with him there after not having any communication with him or his wife in many years. He talked to me before the service and we talked some at the house afterward.

The family memorial service at the house was in the back yard at my mother's labyrinth garden, where my father spread her ashes. Nearby was their vegetable garden. This uncle was working with one of my aunts to get some dill from the garden for her to take, but they were having issues coordinating the logistics of his cutting it and getting the box of it to her. It was kind of amusing. I hardly knew him, but I guess that's the episode I'll remember about him.

My father is the oldest of that generation and another of their brothers died last year. Makes me think about the limited time of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment